Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program
The Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at Northern Louisiana Medical Center is comprised of a multi-disciplinary team of specialists who provide rahabilitative care to people and their families, who have chronic pulmonary disease.
The team includes a pulmonary physician and respiratory therapists who have expertise in the care of patients with chronis pulmonary disease.
Other team members may include: Physical therapists, occupational therapists or dietitians depending on the needs of each individual patient.
Pulmonary Rehabilitation Physician
- John Wilson, RRT - NLMC Pulmonary Rehabilitation
Objectives of the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program
The goals of the program are to improve the quality of life of individuals with chronis pulmonary disease by meeting the following objectives:
- To provide a better understanding of the disease process
- To assist with development of methods to cope with the disease
- To promote and maintain improvement in physical capabilities
- To develop a perception of well-being
- To decease the number of hospitalizations
Eligibility for Pulmonary Rehabilitation
Any individual, who has a chronic pulmonary disease that affects their functional status, and therefore their quality of life, are candidates for pulmonary rehabilitation.
Patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, asthma, bronchiectasis, cystic fibrosis, pulmonary fibrosis, or neuromuscular disease may benefit from participation in a pulmonary rehabilitation program.
An evaluation by a pulmonologist is required. Appointments can be made by calling, 318-254-2464.
The Pulmonary Rehabilitation program has numerous components which include but are not limited to the following:
- Education sessions discussing breathing techniques, disease processes, respiratory medications, oxygen therapy, and exercise techniques
- Exercise reconditioning sessions
- Oxygen dosing (when appropriate)
- Nutrition education sessions
- Energy conservation techniques
- Individualized session regarding results of tests, program recommendations, exercise prescription, and response to any questions from the patient
- Recommendation to any physician any changes or additional tests that are deemed necessary (O2 therapy, overnight oximetry, ABG's and medication changes, etc.)
For more information on the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program ask your physician or call The Northern Louisiana Medical Center Pulmonary Rehabilitation Department at 318-254-2464.